At Walmley Infant School, we believe that our children should develop a love of learning and show care and respect for each other within the context of a happy, secure and challenging learning environment.
We want all our children to experience a high-quality Art education that inspires, encourages and enables children of all abilities to use their creative imagination to achieve their full potential. Art, craft and design embody some of the highest forms or human creativity. It is an ongoing process through which all children are given opportunities to develop specific skills, knowledge and understanding to enable them to work in a variety of media, styles and forms. Reflecting on the history of Art and how it has shaped and contributed to culture and the wealth of our nation will contribute to a deeper understanding and knowledge acquisition within the subject of Art.
Through the teaching of Art, we aim to ensure that all children at Walmley Infant School:
- have entitlement to a broad, balanced, enriching curriculum
- enjoy an active involvement in Art, craft and design
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other Art and design techniques
- have the confidence, as well as the skills and experience necessary, to communicate their ideas through their Artwork
- have opportunities to experience a broad and balanced range of Art activities and show progression within these experiences
- have opportunities to learn about Art from different times and cultures
- become visually literate and be able to identify and apply the key elements of Art
- develop the ability to analyse and make informed critical judgements about their work and the work of others, using appropriate language
- learn about the work of a range of Artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines and make links to their own work